(Extract from a letter of A. T. Squarey, dated May 9th, 1893, to Mr. Bartlett, of Liverpool.)
” The Squarey family lived several generations at Teignmouth and nearby Shaldon, Devon,
and were Mariners or Merchants trading to Newfoundland (chiefly) and to other parts of
the world. It is said they are descended from a French family named ‘ Carre,’ who were
driven from Portou by the religious persecution, and, in England, changed their French
name, as so many of the Huguenots did, into an English equivalent. A branch of the
family are settled in Newfoundland, an off-shoot of the Devonshire stock.”*
* The Squarey family were settled at Teignmouth in the latter part of the 17th century.— L.M.S.
1709 Bay of Bulls: – William Squarry
Aug. 5th, 1719
John Squarrey & Co. Dr freighter Sloop Ann 1 barrell tarr
15 Oct 1763
Richard Middleton’s plantation has been equally divided into three parts for the benefit of Honour Willicott. Divided by: John Stripling, William Squarry, John Norcott, and George Bickforde (his mark). Details of the division of the plantation are sketched.
16 March 1781
Stating that the room situated in St. John’s at Hudsons Cove belongs to John Squarey. 32 men signed attesting to this.
Names of families participating consistently in the Newfoundland Fishing Trade were, from Teignmouth, Bartlett, Bibberns. Brine, Butler, Hayman. Clapp, Goss, Penson and Warren. From Shaldon the families were Bulley, Boden, Fox, Harvey, Mortimer, Row, Squarey and Stigings. The two most important families from Combeinteignhead were the Bulleys and the Jobs.
The winter census of St John’s Newfoundland in 1794/5 listed John Job as owner occupier of a waterfront property on the south side of the harbour among ten other Teign estuary merchants – Abraham Hingston, Stephen Harvey, William Whiteway, George Squarey, William Codner, and Jos. Baker of Shaldon as well as Thomas Gotham, John Duniam and George Bulley of Teignmouth.
also James Squarry 9 years in NF
John Job, William Underhay, Abraham Hingstone, Stephen Harvey, Robert Boden, John Codner and Elias Rowe were all appointed to a Grand Jury in St John’s Newfoundland in 1794.
There was an early connection between the Squareys and the Tuckers who also traded in Newfoundand.
Stephen Tucker wed Johannah Squeery, 1734.
1739 West Teignmouth. William, the son of Stephen and Joanne Tucker.
The Pitts and Bickford families were also connected by marriage and were involved in the Newfoundland trade.
ROBERT SQUAREY (1.), married Mary BiCKFORD ca 1690, and had one son.
SQUAREY, OF TEIGNMOUTH, DEVON, MERCHANTS AND MARINERS. ROBERT SQUAREY (1.), married Mary BiCKFORD, and had one son. ROBERT SQUAREY (II.), married Agnes Braddox, and had seven children. 1. Joanna, born 1714, married Stephen f Tucker. 2. Agnes, born 1716, married Nicholas Watts. Had one son, Nicholas. 3. William. 4. Robert (III.), born 1719, married Amy Tozer. 5. Timothy, born 1722, died at Lima, 1768. 6. John, born 1728. 7. Mary, born . Married William Pitts, 1st, Mariner, 1776 ; one son, William, married — Mutton. 2nd, Thomas Mathews, one daughter, Jane Pitts, married C. Warren, ROBERT SQUAREY (III.), married Amy Tozer, and had four children. The branch NF branch referred to in that account does not seem to include William and George. =================== SQUAREY. Newfoundland Branch.* WILLIAM, second son of Robert (III.) and Amy Tozer, married Elizabeth , and had six children. 1. John, Lieut. R.N., drowned. 2. Robert, born 1778, married in New- foundland 17th August, 1810, to Sarah Parsons. Had six children. He died December 25th, 1828. She died in 1856. 3. William, married Mary Ann Coster, and had four children. Sailing Master, R.N. 4. Elizabeth. 5. Charles, married Harriott Lott. Lieut. R.N. 6. Henry, married in Newfoundland.