Harbour Grace Burial record:
|Clements||John||7 Feb 1802||80 yr||Merchant of this Harbour|
The Clement name is of interest to the Noels of Harbour Grace because of a note below apparently found in the 1804 Plantation records:
In 1805 the Clements Estate had a vacant property with the backroom of a house in Southside Harbour Grace. Had the Noels and the Yetman’s moved on after the death of John Clements?
in 1785 he sold a property on the northside Harbour Grace to William Martin Jr. Meadow, 2 stages, 2 houses, 2 flakes, 2 gardens for 147 pounds.
|Spouse’s Name||Mary Clements|
|Event Place||Saint Augustine The Less, Bristol, Gloucester, England|
The Bulmer family of Hereford originated in the north of England. Edward Bulmer I wine merchant, who migrated to Bristol in the eighteenth century, was the younger son of a Yorkshire farmer. Edward moved to Hereford early in the nineteenth century, and his younger sons Charles and Richard joined him in business. He became mayor in 1822; and his son Richard was also elected and died in 1834 during his year of office. The eldest son Edward Bulmer II (Rev. Edward Bulmer Snr) entered the Church, becoming rector of Moreton-on-Lugg, and a member of the College of Vicars Choral. He married a daughter of the eminent composer Dr. John Clarke Whitfeld, who was organist at Hereford Cathedral. Two of their sons entered the family wine business at Widemarsh Street, Hereford – the other sons entered the Church.
|South shore Broad Cove near Portugal Cove 1804|
|Executors of John Clements 116 yds. from N. to South bounded on the N. by Wm. Tucker on the S. by the woods 200 yds. from H.W.M. to the Southward bounded on the south by the woods 1 S. 2 F. 1 H. 1 G.|
|“on the Southside of Harbour Grace the executors of John Clement claim 330 yards waterfront west from the stone house. The Noels and the Yetman’s still living there are also originally Jersey families and related to the Clements”|
|* The Yetman’s were from southern England.|
The principal merchants of Conception Bay addressed a petition to Chief Justice John REEVES at St. John's for the establishment of a permanent Court at Harbor Grace. He had been sent from England to promote improvements in court proceedings. The petition was signed by the following:
|James CLEMENT||George C. CAWLEY|
|James PRENDERGAST||I. ANDREWS|
|James CAWLEY||Jonathan PARSONS|
|Robert PARSONS||Michael DALEY|
|John SNOW||James MacBRAIRE|
|Henry ANDREWS||George DAVIS|
|Isaac BRADBURY||Henry THOMAS|
|William COLE||William MARTIN|
|William BADCOCK||Richard VALENTINE|
|William COUGLAN||Thomas DANSON|
|Charles PARSONS||William DANSON|
|Timothy HEARN||Edward PIKE|
|William DROVER||LINTHORNE & WARN’|
|Robert SMITH||William HENDERSON|
|Thomas BAKER||J. STRETTON|
|John COX||John HEFFERMAN|
|William PINSENT||Thomas LEWIS|
|Joseph FURNEAUX||John LEVISCONT|
|William HILL||Helier FLOCQUARD|
|Barth CORBAN||Darby HARTERY|
|Philip BEENLEN||Richard NITT|
|John G. DUNBAR (For Jones, Romb, Joy & Co.)|
|William MULLOWNEY (For John Webb, Jr. & Co.)|
The petition was granted, but it took some 15 years before the first Court House was erected at Harbor Grace.
|22 NOV 1707||Jean||Clement||Judith||Le Gros|
|20 Aug 1709||Pierre||Clement||Elizabeth||Le Gros|
|(At St Pierre)|
|06 FEB 1752||Jean||Clement||Sara||Valpy Dit Janvrin|
|23 MAY 1660||Elie||Le Gros||Rachel||Clement|
|Baptism 21 Mar 1686||Judith||Le Gros/Le
Jean LeGeyt possibly the merchant of Harbour Grace may have married into the Clement family of St Brelade and Newfoundland.
|06 FEB 1752||Jean||Le Geyt||Anne||Clement|
Bristol Burgess certificate of John Clement, mariner 1795 Nov 9
|Spouse’s Name:||Ann Goodshipp|
|Event Date:||24 Dec 1691|
|Event Place:||Saint Augustine The Less,Bristol,Gloucester,England|
|Christening Date:||20 Oct 1724|
|Christening Date (Original):||20 OCT 1724|
|Christening Place:||ST MICHAELS, BRISTOL, GLOUCESTER, ENGLAND|
|Father’s Name:||William Clements|
|4 Sept. 1780||Richard Edwards||Charles Garland, J.P. Harbour Grace|
Christopher Walsh petitioned that he agreed to work for John Clements of Harbour Grace but he was wounded in the leg and Mr. Clements refused to employ and pay him. Mr. Garland is requested to look into the matter.
John Clements, who died in 1800, leaving his extensive properties to be sold, the proceeds to be shared equally among his four daughters; whose extensive properties came under the control of his son-in-law, Dr. John Mayne; Nicholas Payne; Thomas Thistle, and Jewer (alt. Jure, Gore, Juer, Journeaux,), whose property was subdivided and sold by James Bailey, who had married one of the Jewer daughters.
|Name||Jane Harriet Clements|
|Event Date||23 Dec 1795|
|Event Place||Harbour Grace, Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, Canada|
|Father’s Name||John Clements|
|Spouse’s Name:||Thomazin Clement|
|Event Date:||03 Aug 1731|
|Event Place:||Saint Stephen,Exeter,Devon,England|
The second wave:
Family arrivals in Port de Grave as recorded by Gerald Andrews 1725 -1770 are:
1725 Taylor, 1727 Tucker, 1731 Hussey, 1735 Kennedy, 1745 Warford, 1755 Efford, 1758 Petten, 1759 Lear, 1760 Coveduct, 1764 Kelligrew, 1768 Batten, 1771 Sheppard.”
England Marriages, 1538–1973
Name: John Clements
Spouse’s Name: Ann King
Event Date: 14 Jan 1765
Event Place: Wraxall Near Bristol,Somerset,England
Commander: John Clements.
Ship: Privateer Royal Charlotte. .
Burden: 499 tons.
Owners: Richard Crabb, Lord Macclesfield, Sir John Colebrook and Moses Franko, all of London, merchants.
Home port: London.
Lieutenant: Robert Oxlid.
Gunner: John Willet.
Boatswain: James Irwin.
Carpenter: William Codlip.
Cook: Alexander Stewart.
Surgeon: John Paterson.
Armament: 26 carriage guns.
|Date:||1761 November 28|
John Clement letter of Marque 1813: