Basic Family History Information and Links


While researching the Noels and Newell families of Newfoundland I see a lot of information on different families. This seems to have increased since I participated in the Family Finder DNA test. In order that people will not have to cover the same ground again I will try to record what I find on this site. As always, people should do their own research and check sources.

My main family lines include Alcock [Harbour Grace, NF],  Brown [Harbour Grace, French [Harbour Grace, NF],    Martin [Harbour Grace, NF],   Newell [Newfoundland],     Noel [Harbour Grace & Carbonear, NF],   Noseworthy [Harbour Grace, NF],    Reid [Island Cove, NF],   Sheppard [Harbour Grace, NF],    Snow [Harbour Grace, NF],   Taylor [Carbonear,   NF], Moores [Carbonear],   NF], Garland NF

The Family Finder is connecting us to the Hudsons of Adam’s Cove and Blackhead (Western Bay) and is supported by Elizabeth Noel marrying into the family. The Legge family of Carbonear is also shown to be connected.

Great Early info recently published here:

The Colonial Secretary’s Letterbook & CO 194 Indexes







(Extract from a letter of A. T. Squarey, dated May 9th, 1893, to Mr. Bartlett, of Liverpool.)

” The Squarey family lived several generations at Teignmouth and nearby Shaldon, Devon,

and were Mariners or Merchants trading to Newfoundland (chiefly) and to other parts of

the world. It is said they are descended from a French family named ‘ Carre,’ who were

driven from Portou by the religious persecution, and, in England, changed their French

name, as so many of the Huguenots did, into an English equivalent. A branch of the

family are settled in Newfoundland, an off-shoot of the Devonshire stock.”*

* The Squarey family were settled at Teignmouth in the latter part of the 17th century.— L.M.S.


1709 Bay of Bulls: – William Squarry


1709 Military and Administrative Personnel

October 1709, 1-12

756. (a) Account of Stores left in the Fort of St. Johns,Newfoundland, by Capt. Taylor, H.M.S. Litchfield, also at Carbonear, Harbour Grace, and Little Bell Islands, and the Isle ofBoys. Signed, Jos. Taylor. 2½ pp.

(b) List of the Officers in Newfoundland, commissioned Oct.1709.

St. Johns:—John Collin, Governor; Edward Sheppard,Lt. Governor; John Jenkins, Major; William Roberts, GilbertJeane, John Marshall, John Cock, John Eleat, Wm. Bowles, Rd.Tapley, Captains; Tho. Squarry, Jono. Martin, Henry Parker,James Prosser, Tho. Roberts, Samuel Nicks, Giles Goss, JohnJulian, Rt. Bowles, Step. Dann, Lieutenants; Daniel Ranes, Rt.Willicot, Char. Coaker, Jos. Newham, Tho. Hawkins, John Martin, Rowland Martin, Rd. Boden, John Richardson, Abr. Barrott,Ensigns; Isaac Legoss, Surgeon; Wm. Squarry, Master Gunner.

This record too late?

Name: Thomas Squary
Spouse’s Name: Esther Ford
Event Date: 19 Oct 1720
Event Place: West Teignmouth,Devon,England


Ruck Fonds:

Aug. 5th, 1719

John Squarrey & Co. Dr freighter Sloop Ann 1 barrell tarr


15 Oct 1763

Richard Middleton’s plantation has been equally divided into three parts for the benefit of Honour Willicott. Divided by: John Stripling, William Squarry, John Norcott, and George Bickforde (his mark). Details of the division of the plantation are sketched.


16 March 1781

Stating that the room situated in St. John’s at Hudsons Cove belongs to John Squarey. 32 men signed attesting to this.



Names of families participating consistently in the Newfoundland Fishing Trade were, from Teignmouth, Bartlett, Bibberns. Brine, Butler, Hayman. Clapp, Goss, Penson and Warren. From Shaldon the families were Bulley, Boden, Fox, Harvey, Mortimer, Row, Squarey and Stigings. The two most important families from Combeinteignhead were the Bulleys and the Jobs.


The winter census of St John’s Newfoundland in 1794/5 listed John Job as owner occupier of a waterfront property on the south side of the harbour among ten other Teign estuary merchants – Abraham Hingston, Stephen Harvey, William Whiteway, George Squarey, William Codner, and Jos. Baker of Shaldon as well as Thomas Gotham, John Duniam and George Bulley of Teignmouth.

also James Squarry 9 years in NF

John Job, William Underhay, Abraham Hingstone, Stephen Harvey, Robert Boden, John Codner and Elias Rowe were all appointed to a Grand Jury in St John’s Newfoundland in 1794.

Different George I think in Handcock’s book:
From 1800, William Fox Sr., as his accounts and letters indicate, resided in Shaldon 
. In 1803 he records, /To 60£ to Insur(ance) on George Squar/s Effects at and from Teignmouth to St John’ s, Newfld, an apparent reference to either a byeboatkeeper or possibly the household migration of a family. Certainly with the entry / By freight of Goods and six men passages to Newfld, rec’ d of John Squary/  Fox documents in 1804 one of the last migrations of a  byeboatkeeper crew, for this system seems to have ended about this time


There was an early connection between the Squareys and the Tuckers who also traded in Newfoundand.

Stephen Tucker wed Johannah Squeery, 1734.
1739 West Teignmouth. William, the son of Stephen and Joanne Tucker.

The Pitts and Bickford families were also connected by marriage and were involved in the Newfoundland trade.

ROBERT SQUAREY (1.), married Mary BiCKFORD ca 1690, and had one son.

William could have been the brother of Robert (1) below???

ROBERT SQUAREY (1.), married Mary 
BiCKFORD, and had one son. 

ROBERT SQUAREY (II.), married Agnes 
Braddox, and had seven children. 

1. Joanna, born 1714, married Stephen 
f Tucker. 

2. Agnes, born 1716, married Nicholas 
Watts. Had one son, Nicholas. 

3. William. 

4. Robert (III.), born 1719, married Amy 

5. Timothy, born 1722, died at Lima, 

6. John, born 1728. 

7. Mary, born . Married William 
Pitts, 1st, Mariner, 1776 ; one son, 
William, married — Mutton. 2nd, 
Thomas Mathews, one daughter, Jane 
Pitts, married C. Warren, 

ROBERT SQUAREY (III.), married Amy 
Tozer, and had four children. 

The branch NF branch referred to in that account does not seem to include William and George.

Newfoundland Branch.* 

WILLIAM, second son of Robert (III.) and 

Amy Tozer, married Elizabeth , and 

had six children. 

1. John, Lieut. R.N., drowned. 

2. Robert, born 1778, married in New- 
foundland 17th August, 1810, to Sarah 
Parsons. Had six children. He died 
December 25th, 1828. She died in 

3. William, married Mary Ann Coster, 
and had four children. Sailing Master, 

4. Elizabeth. 

5. Charles, married Harriott Lott. 
Lieut. R.N. 

6. Henry, married in Newfoundland. 

Le Gros/Le Grow

The Le Gros name appears at either end of Conception Bay. We see it in Bauline and in the Adam’s Cove/ Broad Cove/Small Point area as well.

Bauline’s recorded history begins in the 17th century as a summer fishing
station for English West Country fishermen. Colonial Office records (CO
1/35, 150) show that in 1675 two planters-Richard White and Richard
Coome-with 4 male servants were occupying Baline Cove.

Local oral history (Bruce 5-8) has it that a family of Gatheralls originating from the island of Jersey were the first permanent settlers, arriving in the late 18th century. In Jersey there is an early Gabourel – Balleine marriage in 1718.

The original permanent settlers came to Bauline for the summer fishing season from the communities of Broad Cove, Blackhead and Lead Cove, located on the western shore of Conception Bay. The first permanent settlement began in Bauline around 1800. Family names which are common in Bauline today include those of the original settlers such as Whalen, King, LeGrow and Butler. It looks like this migration would have included Butt and Nicholle ancestry as well.

It is a scribble but I think this may be William LeGros written on this 1708 Carbonear document provided by David Pike:


William is not a common first name in the Le Gros family.

Baptism 07 Sep 1679 Guillaume Le Gros Son Guillaume Catherine Le Couteur
  St Lawrence
Baptism 24 Jul 1681 Guillaume Le Gros Son Guillaume
  St Lawrence

The Le Gros family seems to be closely connected to the Clement family of St Brelade and NF.

Check the Clement page.



A Post from Wayne Perkins:

Here is the same type of information on Legrow, my eariest Legrow ancestor is John Legrow who died at Broad Cove ca 1773. In Al Beagan’s notes was found the following observation: “Bauline is from Baleine, a village in the Jersey island, which it strongly resembles.” The marriage of Thomas LeGros and Catherine Balleine 9 September 1658 was recorded in St Lawrence/St Peter, Jersey. The Legrow’s of Bauline were among its earliest settlers and perhaps knowledge of this marriage may have influenced the naming of Bauline on Conception Bay


List of the Officers in Newfoundland, commissioned October, 1709.

*St. Johns:

John Collin, Governor. Edward Sheppard Lieutenant Governor. John Jenkins, Major. William Roberts, Gilbert Jeane, John Marshall, John Cock, John Eleat, William Bowles, Richard Tapley, Captains. Thomas Squarry, Jonathan Martin, Henry Parker, James Prosser, Thomas Roberts, Samuel Nicks/Neck, Giles Goss, John Julian, Robert Bowles, Stephen Dann, Lieutenants. Daniel Ranes, Robert Willicot, Charles Coaker, Joseph Newham, Thomas Hawkins, John Martin, Rowland Martin, Richard Boden, John Richardson, Abraham Barrott, Ensigns. Isaac Legros, Surgeon. William Squarry, Master Gunner.

Baptism 31 Jan 1674
Le Gro Daughter Isaac
 St Lawrence



Elizabeth—Sloop—–ELIAS LE GROS

Jane——–Do.———–JOHN LE GROS.

The story of a Jersey collier in 1745


Thomas Ruck fonds

Most of his trade was concentrated at the ports between Torbay and Bay Bulls.

July 28, 1720 & September 30, 1720

George Grofs or Cross

Sept. 11, 1720

John De Grace ???????

Baptism 09 Jun 1667 George Le Gros Son Thomas
  St Lawrence

There is a documented early connection to the Noels as well:

08 JAN 1676 Josue Le Gros Jeanne Noel
 St Lawrence



Commander: Thomas Soberall.

Ship: Lumley Galley.

Burden: 40 tons.

Crew: 50.

Owners: Thomas Pipon, Edward Browne and James Lampriere of Jersey, merchants, and Thomas Soberall.

Lieutenant: Edward le Gros.

Gunner: Richard le Sobirell.

Boatswain: Gabriel Boinett.

Carpenter: John Seuret.

Cook: John le Gross.

Armament: 8 guns.

Folio: 101

Date: 1708 September 1



Commander: Thomas Sebirall.

Ship: Lumley Galley.

Burden: 40 tons.

Crew: 50.

Owners: Edward Browne, Francis Drake and James le Balley of Jersey, merchants.

Lieutenant: Edward le Gros.

Gunner: Richard le Sebirall.

Boatswain: Gabriel Bennett.

Carpenter: John Sevret.

Cook: John le Gros.

Armament: 8 guns.

Folio: 139

Date: 1708 December 9



Commander: Clement le Montais

Ship: Carteret Galley

Burden: 10 tons

Crew: 20

Owners: Joshua Lempriere, Abraham Carteret and Edward Brown of Jersey,

Lieutenant: John Gibean

Boatswain: John le Gros

Carpenter: John Mason

Cook: John Perchard

Armament: small arms

Folio: 10

Date: 1709 March 17

Commander: John Legros.

Ship: Success.

Burden: 90 tons.

Crew: 100.

Owners: John Stevens and Noah Tilner of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: John Smith.

Gunner: John Hurt.

Boatswain: Edward Fuller.

Carpenter: Samuel Jones.

Surgeon: Philip Evans.

Cook: William Stanfield.

Armament: 12 carriage and 12 swivel guns.

Folio: 92

Date: 1744 May 8
Reference: HCA 26/4/101

Commander: Elias le Gros.

Ship: Princess Augusta.

Burden: 120 tons.

Crew: 100.

Owners: John Simpson, John Cookson, John Towers and Jonathan Clerke of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: Francis Balmsby.

Gunner: Thomas Cook.

Boatswain: John Butler.

Carpenter: Abraham Boyd.

Surgeon: John Hall.

Cook: Andrew Newen.

Armament: 12 carriage and 14 swivel guns.

Folio: 125

Date: 1744 May 30
Reference: HCA 32/106/11

Captured ship: La Dorade: master Charles Vimont or Vincent.

History: a French ship (160 tons, 15 men, formerly the English merchant ship Alexander, captured and condemned at Guadeloupe), bound from Guadeloupe to Nantes, laden with sugar, coffee and cotton; taken on 10 April 1745 by the privateer Princess Augusta (Elias Le Gros commanding), and brought into Fowey.

Documents: allegation, 3 examinations, 26 ship’s papers.

Date: 1745

Commander: John le Gros.

Ship: Industry.

Burden: 40 tons.

Crew: 50.

Owners: Thomas Dentory, John Mauger, Edward Luce and John Dean of Jersey.

Lieutenant: Abraham Chevallier.

Gunner: John Putron.

Boatswain: Philip Falle.

Carpenter: James Martell.

Surgeon: Samuel Feazer.

Cook: Mathew Hall.

Armament: 8 carriage and 8 swivel guns.

Folio: 131

Date: 1744 June 2



Commander: Robert Barbier.

Ship: Phoenix.

Burden: 120 tons.

Crew: 120.

Owners: ?Lucy Weston and John Auley of Jersey and Messrs. John le [?] and Noah le ?Cres of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: Daniel le Preven.

Gunner: Thomas Nicoll.

Boatswain: Annice Lempriere.

Carpenter: John le Gros.

Surgeon: Nathaniel Nelson.

Cook: Hugh Butcher.

Armament: 16 carriage guns.

Folio: 34

Date: 1756 June 10



Commander: George Messeray.

Ship: Delawar.

Burden: 12 tons.

Crew: 20.

Owners: Charles d’Auvergne of Jersey and James d’Auvergne of London.

Lieutenant: John le Selleur.

Gunner: Daniel Paque.

Boatswain: John ?Grueby.

Carpenter: George le Gros.

Surgeon: John Thomas.

Cook: Matthew le Geyt.

Armament: 2 swivel guns.

Folio: 33

Date: 1756 June 10



Commander: John le Gros.

Ship: Sarah Galley.

Burden: 200 tons.

Crew: 60.

Owners: James Pipon, Peter Meyer and Company of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: Philip le Gros.

Gunner: John Tompson.

Boatswain: Thomas Martin.

Carpenter: Robert Jennings.

Surgeon: Richard Andrews.

Cook: John Ling.

Armament: 20 carriage guns.

Folio: 59

Date: 1756 June 11



Commander: William Solby.

Ship: Blakeney.

Burden: 150 tons.

Crew: 100.

Owners: Charles de Carteret and Thomas Priaulx the younger of Guernsey.

Lieutenant: David le Gros.

Gunner: Peter Ogier.

Boatswain: Charles Maitland.

Carpenter: Jeremiah Johnson

Surgeon: Andrew McIntosh.

Cook: Peter le Roy.

Armament: 14 carriage and 20 swivel guns.

Folio: 138

Date: 1756 August 24

Commander: Thomas Howard.

Ship: Barnevelt.

Burden: 150 tons.

Crew: 15.

Owners: Robert Barnevelt and Theyer Townsend on London, merchants.

Lieutenant: James Morris.

Gunner: Peter Stevens.

Boatswain: James Lavie.

Carpenter: John Jennings.

Surgeon: James Smith.

Cook: Thomas le Gros.

Armament: 8 carriage and 12 swivel guns.

Folio: 134

Date: 1756 August 19

Commander: Philip le Vescoute.

Ship: Onslow.

Burden: 120 tons.

Crew: 90.

Owners: Nicholas le Fevret and Company of Guernsey, merchants.

Lieutenant: William le Mesurier.

Gunner: John Loyd.

Boatswain: Edward Bacon.

Carpenter: John Harris.

Surgeon: Nicholas le Mesurier.

Cook: John le Gros.

Armament: 10 carriage and 16 swivel guns.

Folio: 33

Date: 1757 February 17



Commander: Richard Draper.

Ship: Northumberland.

Burden: 240 tons.

Crew: 150.

Owners: William Hamond of London, merchant.

Lieutenant: Edmund Catlin.

Gunner: John Birch.

Boatswain: Thomas Jones.

Carpenter: James Johnson.

Surgeon: James Mitchell.

Cook: Philip le Gros.

Armament: 18 carriage guns.

Folio: 130

Stricken through and subscribed”Void”.

Date: 1757 November 26



Commander: John Johnstoun.

Ship: Lee.

Burden: 300 tons.

Crew: 25.

Owners: James Russell and John Johnstoun of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: William Smith.

Gunner: John Thomas.

Boatswain: Thomas Bristow.

Carpenter: James Fuller.

Surgeon: Philip le Gros.

Cook: Andrew Phillips.

Armament: 8 carriage and 6 swivel guns.

Folio: 159

Date: 1757 January 8



Commander: Richard le Quesne.

Ship: Phoenix.

Burden: 160 tons.

Crew: 140.

Owners: John Auley of Jersey and Lucy Westow of Guernsey, merchants.

Lieutenant: Danial Speire.

Gunner: Thomas Nicolle.

Boatswain: Amos Lempriere.

Carpenter: John le Gros.

Surgeon: Nathaniel Nelson.

Cook: Charles Flurry.

Armament: 20 carriage guns.

Folio: 172

Date: 1757 January 18

Commander: Thomas Watson.

Ship: Union.

Burden: 40 tons.

Crew: 25.

Owners: Alexander Read and Thomas Leathwait and Company of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: Jonathan Jones.

Gunner: Tobias Wall.

Boatswain: Thomas Blunder.

Carpenter: James Mathews.

Surgeon: William Smith.

Cook: Philip le Gros.

Armament: 6 carriage and 12 swivel guns.

Folio: 58

Date: 1757 September 17

Commander: William Cowan.

Ship: Fox.

Burden: 100 tons.

Crew: 100.

Owners: Peter Taylor, James Johnson, John Calcraft and James Plunkett of London, merchants.

Lieutenant: Richard Everdell.

Gunner: Michael James.

Boatswain: Thomas Smith.

Carpenter: William Johnson.

Surgeon: Robert Viney.

Cook: Philip le Gros.

Armament: 18 carriage and 16 swivel guns.

Folio: 175.

Note that the Oliver Cromwell received a similar commission

Date: 1757 July 11

Commander: John Geffrard.

Ship: Minerva.

Burden: 160 tons.

Crew: 120.

Owners: William Patriarche, Thomas Lempriere and John Hue of Jersey, merchants.

Lieutenant: Richard Seward.

Gunner: John Gibeand.

Boatswain: Philip le Gros.

Carpenter: William Chizlewell.

Surgeon: Thomas Mackintosh.

Cook: Thomas Littleton.

Armament: 14 carriage and 16 swivel guns.

Folio: 50.

Note that the Judith and Charles received similar commissions.

Date: 1757 September 7

Commander: Philip Winter.

Ship: Prince William.

Burden: 160 tons.

Crew: 140.

Owners: Gideon Villeneufe, Philip Robin and Elias Le Gros of Jersey, merchants.

Lieutenant: Thomas Robin.

Gunner: Richard Le Cras.

Boatswain: James Luce.

Carpenter: William Mayne.

Surgeon: William Ellis.

Cook: Alexander Hudson.

Armament: 14 carriage and 12 swivel guns.

Folio: 22

Date: 1758 February 9

Commander: John Brunet.

Ship: Revenge.

Burden: 50 tons.

Crew: 40.

Owners: Messrs John Anley and Company of Jersey, merchants.

Lieutenant: Daniel Nicoll.

Gunner: Thomas Comen.

Boatswain: John Croegner.

Carpenter: Thomas Le Gros.

Surgeon: Thomas ?Fanvel.

Cook: Francis Briard.

Armament: 8 carriage guns.

Folio: 36

Date: 1758 February 21

Commander: Thomas Darby.

Ship: Levant.

Burden: 300 tons.

Crew: 120.

Owners: John Noble of Bristol.

Lieutenant: James Lambert.

Gunner: William Hartley.

Boatswain: Thomas Austin.

Carpenter: William James.

Surgeon: Thomas Slater.

Cook: Philip le Gros.

Armament: 28 carriage and 12 swivel guns.

Folio: 101.

Note that the Fancy received a similar commission.

Date: 1758 April 18



Commander: Philip le Blancq.

Ship: Saint Anthony.

Burden: 31 tons.

Crew: 28.

Owners: John le Gros and Mathew Gosset of Jersey, merchants.

Lieutenant: John Vinedut.

Gunner: John le Blanc.

Boatswain: Elias Manger.

Carpenter: Thomas le Gros.

Surgeon: John Vomerell.

Cook: Edward Vellett.

Armament: 2 carriage and 4 swivel guns.

Folio: 76

Date: 1759 July 14



Commander: Robert Cook.

Ship: Roast Beef.

Burden: 130 tons.

Crew: 60. .

Owners: Nicholas Dobree of Guernsey, merchant.

Home port: Guernsey.

Lieutenant: Thomas Harrison.

Gunner: James Thunder.

Boatswain: John Wall.

Carpenter: Thomas Noble.

Surgeon: Nicholas Slater.

Cook: Peter le Gros.

Armament: 12 carriage guns.

Folio: 82

Date: 1759 July 22



Commander: Laurence Alier.

Ship: Hawke.

Burden: 27 tons.

Crew: 21.

Owners: John Ansley, Daniel ?Mesadry and Abraham Gosset of Jersey.

Home port: Jersey.

Lieutenant: Edward Snow.

Gunner: John Blampied.

Boatswain: Philip le Couteur.

Carpenter: George le Gros.

Cook: John Enoff.

Surgeon: John Forbes.

Armament: 1 carriage and 4 swivel guns.

Folio: 96

Date: 1759 August 27



Commander: Noah Gautier.

Ship: Duke of Richmond.

Burden: 31 tons.

Crew: 20.

Owners: Matthew Gosset and John le Gros of Jersey, merchants.

Home port: Jersey.

Lieutenant: Thomas Labbey.

Gunner: John Beison.

Boatswain: Thomas le Gros.

Carpenter: Peter Lewis.

Cook: John Sauce.

Surgeon: John Forbes.

Armament: 6 swivel guns.

Folio: 127

Date: 1759 November 21



Commander: John Kirby.

Ship: Lively.

Burden: 10 tons.

Crew: 20.

Owners: Abraham Gosset of Jersey, merchant.

Home port: Jersey.

Lieutenant: John Lewis.

Gunner: Thomas Phillips.

Boatswain: John le Gros.

Carpenter: Thomas Inhoff.

Cook: John Lawe.

Surgeon: Richard Turner.

Armament: 4 swivel guns.

Folio: 166

Date: 1760 April 26

Commander: Philip Mauger.

Ship: Prince Ferdinand.

Burden: 110 tons.

Crew: 70.

Owners: Alexander Gosset, Matthew Gosset and John le Gros of Jersey, merchants.

Home port: Jersey.

Lieutenant: Aaron Gally.

Gunner: John Luce.

Boatswain: Peter Labey.

Carpenter: Thomas Brown.

Cook: John Smith.

Surgeon: Charles Forbes.

Armament: 10 carriage and 10 swivel guns.

Folio: 171.

Note that the Unicorn and Swan received similar commissions.

Date: 1760 May 23

Commander: William Carey.

Ship: Dragon.

Burden: 250 tons.

Crew: 30.

Owners: John le Gros and Noah le Bras of London, merchants.

Home port: London.

Lieutenant: David Simon.

Gunner: John Sari.

Boatswain: James Browad.

Carpenter: James Roberts.

Cook: John Wood.

Surgeon: Patrick Watson.

Armament: 16 carriage guns.

Folio: 7.

Note that the Hero received a similar commission

Date: 1760 July 10

Commander: Richard le Quesne.

Ship: Royal George.

Burden: 40 tons.

Crew: 40.

Owners: Messrs Dobrees and others of Guernsey, merchants.

Home port: Guernsey.

Lieutenant: Joseph Bishop.

Gunner: Philip le Gros.

Boatswain: John Smith.

Carpenter: Edward Dorry.

Cook: Thomas Same.

Surgeon: John Ross.

Armament: 4 carriage and 12 swivel guns.

Folio: 156

Date: 1760 March 21



Commander: Edward Snow.

Ship: Earl of Albemarle. .

Burden: 30 tons.

Crew: 32.

Owners: Abraham Gosset of Jersey, merchant.

Home port: Jersey.

Lieutenant: Thomas Enough.

Gunner: Edward Saveret.

Boatswain: John Blampy.

Carpenter: Elias Le Gros.

Cook: John Thomas.

Surgeon: Edward Turner.

Armament: 4 carriage and 6 swivel guns.

Folio: 84

Date: 1761 March 21

Commander: James Blair.

Ship: Dragon.

Burden: 250 tons.

Crew: 25.

Owners: John Legros, Noah Legrace of London, merchants, and Samuel Wilson of Westminster.

Home port: London.

Lieutenant: James Wellyby.

Gunner: James Donn.

Boatswain: John Lewis.

Carpenter: Robert Thompson.

Cook: John Cook.

Surgeon: Collin McPherson.

Armament: 16 carriage guns.

Folio: 128

Date: 1761 October 21

Commander: Thomas Seymour.

Ship: Fame.

Burden: 220 tons.

Crew: 40.

Owners: Joseph Haines of New York and Thomas Seymour.

Lieutenant: John Anderson.

Gunner: Thomas Waterman.

Boatswain: John Aimwell.

Carpenter: James Fuller.

Surgeon: Thomas Jones.

Cook: James Legros.

Armament: 12 carriage and 30 swivel guns.

Folio: 165

Date: 1756 September 10



Prout/ Preutx/Priaux

possible connection to Jersey……….

1675 Census from CO 1/35.

Port de Grave

Nicholas Prout


Baptism — Mar 1612       Nycollas   Priaulx/Priaux

Son    of   Nycollas

St Martin


Baptism 01 Sep 1672       Sara Priaulx/Priaux

Daughter     Nicolas  &  Marguerite  Horman

St Martin


Bay Roberts 1804 – owned from 1786

John Preautx and Thos. Preautx 197 yds.from E. to W. bounded on the E. by Robert Merser on the W. by John Perchard 200 yds. from H.W.M. to the N. bounded on the N. by the woods 1 Stage 1 Wharf 1 Meadow 2 Houses 2 Gardens


Commander: Nicholas Amy.

Ship: Prosperous Sloop.

Burden: 15 tons.

Crew: 25.

Owners: William Bonamy, Michael Fawdery, Joshua Priaulx, merchants, and Nicholas Amy of Guernsey.

Lieutenant: John du Rocq.

Gunner: Dennis Sullie.

Boatswain: Lewis Pratiere.

Carpenter: William Richardson.

Cook: Andrew Thomas.

Armament: 2 guns.

Folio: 182.

Date: 1709 February 19

Commander: Thomas du Pré.

Ship: Fidelity.

Burden: 30 tons.

Crew: 40.

Owners: John Bowden of Guernsey, merchant.

Lieutenant: Peter Robert.

Gunner: Thomas Wood.

Boatswain: John Priaulx

Carpenter: John Pentron.

Cook: Peter Manger.

Armament: 6 guns.

Folio: 56

Date: 1709 August 23

Commander: Peter Luga la Grange.

Ship: Morning Star.

Burden: 20 tons.

Crew: 25.

Owners: John Priaulx and William Morris of Guernsey, merchants.

Lieutenant: John Tapper.

Gunner: Benjamin Dennis.

Boatswain: Jonathan Green.

Carpenter: William Gardiner.

Cook: Thomas Browne.

Armament: 10 guns.

Folio: 125

Date: 1710 January 24

Commander: William Solby.

Ship: Blakeney.

Burden: 150 tons.

Crew: 100.

Owners: Charles de Carteret and Thomas Priaulx the younger of Guernsey.

Lieutenant: David le Gros.

Gunner: Peter Ogier.

Boatswain: Charles Maitland.

Carpenter: Jeremiah Johnson

Surgeon: Andrew McIntosh.

Cook: Peter le Roy.

Armament: 14 carriage and 20 swivel guns.

Folio: 138

DATE: 1756 August 24

Commander: Abraham Blandel.

Ship: Snugg.

Burden: 25 tons.

Crew: 30.

Owners: John Manger, Joshua Priaulx and Thomas Priaulx of Guernsey, merchants.

Lieutenant: Elisha Roland.

Gunner: Peter du Pré.

Boatswain: John Tasker.

Carpenter: Samuel Atley.

Surgeon: John Lee.

Cook: Peter Guerin.

Armament: 2 carriage and 6 swivel guns.

Folio: 61.

Note that the Defiance Privateer received a similar commission.

Date: 1757 March 9




Harbour Grace Burial record:

Clements John 7 Feb 1802 80 yr Merchant of this Harbour


The Clement name is of interest to the Noels of Harbour Grace because of a note below apparently found in the 1804 Plantation records:

Clement 2

clement 3

Name Edward Bulmer
Spouse’s Name Mary Clements
Event Date 1791
Event Place Saint Augustine The Less, Bristol, Gloucester, England
in the oldest Bristol Directory,
dated 1775, and published by Sketchley:

3 Avon Street, Temple – Clements, John, mariner

Back in Conception Bay:

South shore Broad Cove near Portugal Cove  1804
Executors of John Clements 116 yds. from N. to South bounded on the N. by Wm. Tucker on the S. by the woods 200 yds. from H.W.M. to the Southward bounded on the south by the woods 1 S. 2 F. 1 H. 1 G.
Property from John Squires in 1790 and neighbour is still Squires
“on the Southside of Harbour Grace the executors of John Clement claim 330 yards waterfront west from the stone house. The Noels and the Yetman’s still living there are also originally Jersey families and related to the Clements”
 * The Yetman’s were from southern England.
The DeQuettevilles were a big trading family. I believe the matriarch was a Noel. I think she was from St Helier not St Martin like Clement. The stone house is the ruin of the DeQuetteville building (maybe 1740’s) in Southside Harbour Grace.
The Jersey traders seemed to marry into business partners’ families so it is possible another Jersey Noel branch came over (a predecessor of John Noel in Brigus et al????)
I had thought the Noels were originally in Carbonear but their property purchase document puts them in Harbour Grace first.
 I think the connection between the Noels, Yetmans and Clements was possibly the Taylor family. I am also speculating that this Taylor family has a number of records showing up in the Jersey database. Clement Noel Jr was married to Mary Taylor at the time of the Plantation records. There was a Taylor line early in the Port de Grave area.
Concerning a later descendant:
John Clement came from a St Brelade family of master mariners who had been merchants at Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in the late 18th-century.[51] Unable to weather the disruption to trade caused by the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812-1814, the next generation worked, as did Renouf, for the Nicolles, in their case, as shipmasters. The Clement family returned to shipowning in 1858, when John Clement began to take shares in some of Thomas Renouf`s vessels.
Clement Burgeo
More Jersey Clement info here:
Jersey trees:
Jersey Marriage records and a possible connection to the LeGros family.
22 NOV 1707 Jean Clement Judith Le Gros
    St Brelade
20 Aug 1709 Pierre Clement Elizabeth Le Gros
(At St Pierre)
    St Brelade
06 FEB 1752 Jean Clement Sara Valpy Dit Janvrin
    St Brelade
23 MAY 1660 Elie Le Gros Rachel Clement
    St Peter
Baptism 21 Mar 1686 Judith Le Gros/Le
Gros Bisson
Daughter Elie
  St Brelade
Agnes Ayre in Newfoundland Names has said:
She seems to have used Munn’s information or had access to the source as well….
Seary in his book lists William Clements of Brigus in 1709. John Clement of Jugler’s Cove in Bay Roberts in 1760 and John Clement, merchant of Harbour Grace 1771. It seems like the name died out in Newfoundland around 1800 when John died having 4 surviving daughters.
.John Clements


4 Sept. 1780 Richard Edwards Charles Garland, J.P. Harbour Grace

Christopher Walsh petitioned that he agreed to work for John Clements of Harbour Grace but he was wounded in the leg and Mr. Clements refused to employ and pay him. Mr. G.arland is requested to look into the matter.




John Clements, who died in 1800, leaving his extensive properties to be sold, the proceeds to be shared equally among his four daughters;  whose extensive properties came under the control of his son-in-law, Dr. John Mayne; Nicholas Payne; Thomas Thistle, and Jewer (alt. Jure, Gore, Juer, Journeaux,), whose property was subdivided and sold by James Bailey, who had married one of the Jewer daughters.

Name Jane Harriet Clements
Event Type Birth
Event Date 23 Dec 1795
Event Place Harbour Grace, Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, Canada
Gender Female
Father’s Name John Clements
Mother’s Name Margaret



Commander: John Clements.

Ship: Royal Charlotte. .

Burden: 499 tons.

Crew: 99.

Owners: Richard Crabb, Lord Macclesfield, Sir John Colebrook and Moses Franko, all of London, merchants.

Home port: London.

Lieutenant: Robert Oxlid.

Gunner: John Willet.

Boatswain: James Irwin.

Carpenter: William Codlip.

Cook: Alexander Stewart.

Surgeon: John Paterson.

Armament: 26 carriage guns.

Folio: 141

Date: 1761 November 28


John Guy was the founder of Cooper’s Cove who later moved to Bristol’s Hope near Harbour Grace.




01 SEP 1668 Thomas Tailleur Jeanne Gay
               St Saviour

This Gay marriage reference and as godparents is possibly from the Guy family.

A Nich Guy signed this 1708 Carbonear document provided by David Pike: